Monday, October 8, 2007

STILL ALIVE!


Saturday morning Jenni, Jamie and I competed in the Longhorn Sprint Triathlon in Austin. Here we are pre-race, still smiling-Jamie and I still unaware of the long road ahead of us. I can't believe how dark it was outside. We got there three hours early to make sure we were totally prepared, so this was taken a little before 6 AM! Around 9 is when we began the .5 mile swim, 12 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run.

Here I am meters away from finishing the race. No my strides are not usually this long (I wish), I just really picked up the pace when the end was in sight!

AND we survived. Here we are standing in front of the finish line. I finished 322nd out of 740 with a time of 1:34:50 (a little over an hour and a half in case I wrote that wrong). It was definitely a satisfying experience-in fact the MOST EXPENSIVE experience I think I've ever had, but I think I might go at it again next year! I'm just so glad that I didn't have to do it on my own- I think it would have been so much scarier and not as much fun if Jamie and Jenni weren't there- Thanks for the help and support (and for the pictures Mason)!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

GOOD JOB JAMI!!! you look awesome running to the finish line!! like a NIKE commercial or something, I very impressed by all of you!!

Jenni said...

oh good! you got the pictures! just think that you already bought everything you need to do another one...so now you only have to pay to enter another triathlon! :) I do agree though,...this will be a good sport AFTER dental school.

The Blaisdell Family said...

Jami, you look ripped in that running picture. That's awesome! And good job on training and doing all this. That's is A LOT of work. You are an example to me for sure!

And just out of curiosity...what made it so expensive to get reading for this??

Jami Black said...

After hotel, registration ($85), buying equipment (goggles, helmet, pump for tires, watch, tri suit ($85), chain degreaser, camel back (holds water for long bike rides), etc. It really added up!

The Blaisdell Family said...

Wow, that is pretty expensive. But like Jenni said, now that you own all that, it shouldn't be too bad next year. BUT I bet at least one of you will be pregnant by then. This time in life is hard to plan things because sometimes other things take over. After all a pregnancy takes up pretty much a whole year!! Man, the sacrafices we make:)

Kajsa said...

Congrats! You had a great finish too! You look so buff in your running picture!

Jamie Smith said...

It was fun doing it with you! Your making the rest of us look bad with your buff self! I think next time though it would be nice to sit back and cheer on the guys! Because like Jaime says we will probably be pregnant or something. I guess we will have to do one in March or something, because after that I will be out of commission for over a year! I don't know how that girl with that little baby was there! I really think she rented it to make her look good, like she was super amazing or something.

Tim and Melissa said...

Wow. You are amazing and such a buff little thing! I'm so impressed!

Christine said...

I am so proud of you guys! I can't wait to join you next time. Hopefully I can get looking as cute as you girls do.