Tuesday, February 3, 2009

In Loving Memory

Our holidays were a roller coaster this year as we received the news that my Grandmother Jane had passed away on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day my grandfather was placed in ICU and they did not think he would make it through the day. We immediately planned to make the drive to Lubbock that weekend and although we felt sympathy for my grandfather, part of me prayed that he would be able to join her quickly. He ended up beating the odds and seemed to improve slowly. We felt so blessed to be able to see him and that he was able to meet his first great-grandson. Arrangements were made and we attended grandma's funeral that Monday and headed home the next day. Grandpa then followed about a week and a half later and I made the trip a second time to attend his funeral. Losing someone is so difficult yet there was such peace in the fact that they were together. I'll always remember them and cherish the summers I stayed with them while going to basketball camp.
Jane Curlee (Nov. 19, 1921-Dec. 24, 2008) & Clyde Curlee, Sr. (Dec. 6, 1923-Jan. 4, 2009)
It is sweet seeing them side by side once again.


The one good thing was being able to see family and reflecting on memories together.

The Siblings and spouses:
Our family:
My cousing Leah and her boyfriend Scotty:
Mom and Dad:
My bro:
And the Lermons even came and supported:

The experience really made me appreciate the gospel in my life and it also made me reflect on what is important and what I should be focusing on. I love this poem and shared something similar at my grandfather's funeral:
Suppose today were your last day on earth
The last mile of the journey you've trod;
After all of your struggles how much are you worth,
How much can you take home to God?

Oh, don't count as your possessions your silver and gold
For tomorrow you leave these behind.
All that is yours to have and to hold
Is the service you've rendered mankind.

3 comments:

Mariley Johnson said...

What a blessing for them to be together again so soon.
My condolences.

The Blaisdell Family said...

Man, that's tough! Sorry you and your family had to go through so much all at once! I agree though, it's wonderful knowing they are together again already. Hope you are dealing ok with it all.

I've been meaning to call you, so expect a call soon:)

Courtney said...

So sorry about your loss, at least they got to pass so close to each other and only spend a few days apart.